[Linux-PowerEdge] Remotely enable IPMI-over-LAN on BMC

Luca Lesinigo luca at lm-net.it
Mon Aug 31 02:22:51 CDT 2015

Dear list, I have a couple of (remote) Poweredge R320 servers with the basic BMC.

They’re running Ubuntu Server LTS 14.04, the BMC has a correct network configuration (I can ping/browse it) but ‘IPMI over LAN’ has /not/ been enabled. I can use ‘ipmitool’ just fine on the system itself but not via IP.

Is there any way to enable IPMI over LAN remotely, without sending someone to the servers and turn them off and enter settings during bootstrap?

thanks,
--
Luca Lesinigo
LM Networks Srl