[Linux-PowerEdge] Question about fan speed settings on PowerEdge R720xd

Elie_Jreij at Dell.com Elie_Jreij at Dell.com
Sat Aug 15 15:02:38 CDT 2015

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
iDRAC7 can be updated with iDRAC8 firmware 2.10.10 and later versions. When you update the firmware on iDRAC, the server does not reboot but the iDRAC will reset to run the new firmware.
Regards
Elie

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of David Eckelkamp
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2015 2:37 PM
To: Becky Ligon
Cc: Luke Pyzowski; linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Question about fan speed settings on PowerEdge R720xd

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Becky Ligon <ligon at clemson.edu<mailto:ligon at clemson.edu>> wrote:
Thanks, David!  Version 7 was not installed on my machines.  Now, I can "racadm" successfully!

I am still pretty certain, though, that idrac7 doesn't support dynamically changing the thermal/fan speeds.  I haven't checked the idrac7 manual but I DID see in the idrac8 manual where these items could be changed.

1.  Can the idrac version be updated without bringing down the machine?

Not sure exactly what you mean. If you're asking can you update/upgrade an iDRAC7 to iDRAC8, no.  Each iDRAC generation is a specific set of hardware. Yes, you can and should update the firmware on the iDRACs. And the firmware can be updated without rebooting the OS on the server.

2.  Is there a way to see the thermal/fan settings without rebooting the machine?

Well, according to this article http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN285596/EN it is possible. The article mentions that it will be a feature in the next racadm release for iDRAC7.  It was written in late 2013 so you'd think the OMSA 8.1.0 version of racadm would have the capability.

DavidE