[Linux-PowerEdge] Question about fan speed settings on PowerEdge R720xd

David Eckelkamp deckelkamp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 14:37:19 CDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Becky Ligon <ligon at clemson.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, David!  Version 7 was not installed on my machines.  Now, I can
> "racadm" successfully!
>
> I am still pretty certain, though, that idrac7 doesn't support dynamically
> changing the thermal/fan speeds.  I haven't checked the idrac7 manual but I
> DID see in the idrac8 manual where these items could be changed.
>
> 1.  Can the idrac version be updated without bringing down the machine?

Not sure exactly what you mean. If you're asking can you update/upgrade an
iDRAC7 to iDRAC8, no.  Each iDRAC generation is a specific set of hardware.
Yes, you can and should update the firmware on the iDRACs. And the firmware
can be updated without rebooting the OS on the server.

> 2.  Is there a way to see the thermal/fan settings without rebooting the
> machine?
>
> Well, according to this article
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN285596/EN it is possible.
The article mentions that it will be a feature in the next racadm release
for iDRAC7.  It was written in late 2013 so you'd think the OMSA 8.1.0
version of racadm would have the capability.

DavidE