[Linux-PowerEdge] Need to update firmware on Dell PowerEdge 2970 (9g)

Chuck Stuettgen cstuettgen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:31:50 CDT 2015

If you have access to Windows Computer, (Windows 7 Desktop will work
fine) then download the Dell Repository Manager and use it to create a
bootable ISO that will automatically apply all the updates.

You can get latest Repository Manager here.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=13RD8

Lots of good info about the Repository Manager can be found on the Dell
Wiki here

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1767.dell-repository-manager

In particular you will want to get the one that details how to export a
bundle and create a bootable ISO.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20438117

The latest SUU with support for the 2970 is 14.10

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V40R2

The process in a nutshell.
Import the catalog from the SUU ISO and create your own Repository.
Search for the Model of the Server, in your case 2970, select the Linux
bundle and export it.

Write the ISO to a DVD then boot the server with it.  The updates will
be applied automatically.

Here's a tip.  If you need to keep a record of the updates, a log file
called apply_components.log is created in a folder called
bundled_applications in the live environment.

You can access the live Centos 6 environment by pressing ALT-F2.

Create a folder under /mnt and mount a USB flash key. Copy the log file
to the flash key then unmount it.  Press ALT-F1 to get back to the Apply
Components Script. Press any key to end the script and reboot the
server.

Hope this helps.

Chuck