[Linux-PowerEdge] Difference between PE 2950 and P2950-III?

Josh_Moore at Dell.com Josh_Moore at Dell.com
Wed Sep 24 15:25:10 CDT 2014

Dell Customer Communication

The PE2950-III launched in Nov 2007. I would expect any units sold after that to be III.
Physically on the system itself, you can see a Roman numeral III at the top of the left ear board (above the loop handle).

Josh Moore
Enterprise Senior Engineer - Server Solutions
RHCE, RHCSA-RHOSP, RHCVA, (120-095-146) | LPIC-3 Core + Security
Dell | Support Services

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of wsanders at wsanders.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 3:20 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] Difference between PE 2950 and P2950-III?

How can I tell which model I have? When I search dell.com with the service tag I see "PowerEdge 2950". Presumably this would show "PowerEdge 2950 III" if I have a III? System ship date was 5/1/2008.

We're just trying to see if we can do 64G memory upgrade. If the system is a I or II model, will a BIOS upgrade turn it into a III?

Thanks in advance,
-W Sanders