[Linux-PowerEdge] VMware ESXi Monitoring OMSA/ROMB

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Mon Sep 15 00:04:29 CDT 2014

Hello, ESXi by default don't include the storage CIM provider which can provide the health status  of the storage controller, battery, virtual disks etc.

You may need to manually install the relevant CIM providers on ESXi to get the status. Refer to http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/07/01/monitoring-dell-poweredge-raid-controllers-in-vmware-esxi

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Joe Gooch
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:02 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] VMware ESXi Monitoring OMSA/ROMB

I have several servers running ESXi Hypervisor 5.5 with the OMSA 7.4.0.1 VIB installed... It's great. I can use Manage Remote Node to monitor and manage the server.

However, I have a couple of servers where the Battery has failed...
One's on the H700 on board, others are perc 6/e addon cards.  Either way, VMWare sensors show no problems for the ROMB/Battery sensors, but when I connect to OMSA, it shows the battery has failed.

For physical machines, I've always used MegaCLI or percsnmpd to monitor such things, for windows servers... I've used SNMP.  Neither of those options are available to me with ESXi.

I can't seem to find a CIM instance that will return this information.
Has anyone had any luck either 1) getting the vmware sensor to reflect the *actual* state of the battery instead of a false positive, or 2) actually querying the status of the batteries from OMSA using web service calls?  I'm using nagios, so anything using the perl SDK or WBEM is fair game. (Though if you have a concept I'll work out the implementation details)

Thanks.

Joe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential and legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper delivery can be arranged, and please delete the message from your mail box.