[Linux-PowerEdge] OMSA says failed drive but LED is solid green and LCD displays no error

Jeff White jaw171 at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 4 08:26:52 CDT 2014

I have a PE R815 that has this issue:

* OMSA says drive 0:0:0 has failed but the drive physically labelled as
0 has a green LED

* OMSA says drive 0:0:1 has a "failure predicted" status and has a
blinking amber LED

* The LCD on the front of the system shows no errors

Therefore, I am confused.  When I called Dell (they at least used to
help a little with OMSA even with an out of warranty system) I get "this
office is currently closed" despite the Web site saying it is 24/7.
Additionally when I try to get the latest version of OMSA I just get a
404
(https://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/platform_independent/rh60_64)
... thanks Dell, very helpful.

So:

1. Can anyone provide the correct link to the latest OMSA repo or is it
down?

2. Has anyone seen the LCD not display and error yet the LED of a drive
and OMSA both show something is wrong?

3. I have seen the LCD and OMSA disagree about PSU problems on R815s
several times in the past but never with disk drives.  With the PSUs
Dell pretty much said "OMSA is right the PSU is fine, the LCD is
controlled by the BMC which is confused, swap your PSUs to fix it".  In
reality another so called "fix" seems to be to lazily ignore it for a
few months and the LCD magically decides everything is fine and goes
back to being blue with no error.

Once I can get to the repo I will update OMSA and as always update
firmware but I would like to know if others have seen this behaviour.

--
Jeff White - GNU+Linux Systems Administrator
University of Pittsburgh - CSSD