[Linux-PowerEdge] MD1000 blinking amber but OMSA says everything fine

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 28 09:46:51 CDT 2014

We have a MD1000 out of warranty that has a blinking amber light on the front
panel which the manuals says "Enclosure is in fault state".  Nothing else
seems obviously wrong as far as indicators on the unit. When I run the
omreport tool I see:

# omreport storage enclosure controller=1 enclosure=0:0
Details of Enclosure MD1000 on Controller PERC 6/E Adapter (Slot 2)

Enclosure(s) on Controller PERC 6/E Adapter (Slot 2)
ID                    : 0:0
Status                : Non-Critical
Name                  : MD1000
State                 : Degraded
Connector             : 0
Target ID             : Not Applicable
Configuration         : Unified
Firmware Version      : A.04
Service Tag           : HY546J1
Asset Tag             :
Asset Name            : MD1000
Backplane Part Number : 0JH544A04
Split Bus Part Number : Not Applicable
Enclosure Part Number : Not Applicable
SAS Address           : 50022192B3DB5F0C
Enclosure Alarm       : Disabled

but when I look at all the individual subsystems I can find nothing
reported wrong.  fans, temps, pwrsupplies and emms all report OK.
All physical and virtual disks are OK.  Same info in the web GUI.

So anyone have an idea of why the enclosure is complaining?

Paul Raines                     http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129	    USA

dispose of the e-mail.