[Linux-PowerEdge] Latest firmware live DVD posted

Elias Abacioglu elias.rabi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 04:42:25 CDT 2014

I Like Sven's thinking.

I also tried PXE booting the LiveDVD without success.. Like Sven says, it's
not really optimal to download a 4GB image over PXE. It was a while ago I
tried this so I really can't remember what I tried, maybe HTTP or NFS..

His idea about completely unattended updates is the way to go. If you strip
the GUI and a lot of stuff you can easily get the size down. And you gotta
boot the image over NFS or HTTP (via PXE).
Basically you want to setup a PXE boot option for Dell Firmware Upgrades.
Boot into that and have it automatically upgrade firmware and report via
remote syslog. When finished it reboots and goes back to normal operations.
Completely unattended..

And about that what Luca saying about the community and community projects.
I could reverse what he is saying and point out that it's bad that this
kind of support and tools aren't official Dell.
A bit out of topic but as an example a short time ago I was recommended by
Dell ProSupport (escalated third line or something) to try out Red Hat
instead of Ubuntu when having a server with hardware failures that we
haven't been able to pinpoint.
It's a shame that "Offical Dell" puts so little effort in non-Windows (and
non-Red Hat).