[Linux-PowerEdge] Latest firmware live DVD posted

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Mar 21 13:14:18 CDT 2014

Phillippe Welsh wrote the following on 3/21/2014 9:54 AM:
>> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:35:46 -0500
>> From: <Praveen_Paladugu at Dell.com>
>> Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] Latest firmware live DVD posted
>> To: <linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com>

>> All,
>>
>> The latest version of the firmware liveDVD with the latest firmware
>> and OM 7.4 is posted online. Please find the details at
>> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2014/03/20/centos-based-firmware-images-with-om-7-4-with-pxe.aspx
>>

>> Thank you
>> Praveen K Paladugu
>> Dell Linux Engineering
> I'd like to point out how *VERY* useful this DVD ISO has been through the last couple of years! There have been several occasions where servers only updated with the DVD (the repo and standalone binarys would fail to update). This DVD will now join the stack of previous releases left in the computer room as a best-last-hope-for-update path.
>
> Thank you again for your time into putting this together!
>
> pjwelsh

I would like to second this experience. The integrated life cycle
controllers have let me down on a number of occasions, regardless of
whether the server was new or old. Dell's website has increasingly
become less friendly to the CLI based Linux servers that I administer
(required flash, javascript, removed direct links, etc) to directly
download individual firmware updates. This has left options like the
live OMSA firmware CD sometimes being the only way for me to update Dell
servers.