[Linux-PowerEdge] PowerEdge R910, PERC H700 and newest CentOS kernel

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 24 11:10:13 CDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

| Upon updating our PowerEdge R910 with LSI MegaRAID SAS 2108
| controller (PERC
| H700 Integrated) to the CentOS 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.x86_64 kernel it
| failed to
| boot.  It runs grub and does the initial bootstrap but after init
| takes over
| it panics claiming it cannot find the root filesystem.  I am assuming
| it does
| not find the disks at all at that point.  So I have booted back into
| the older
| 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64 kernel where it works fine.
|
| The H700 has firmware 12.10.5-0001
|
| Anyone else experience this?

Had this issue with the initrd didn't build properly during an upgrade.  booted into the old kernel, made sure there was sufficient space, removed the kernel update and reinstalled it, everything when fine after that.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

To be original seek your inspiration from unexpected sources.