[Linux-PowerEdge] PXE boot from add-in card

D. Jared Dominguez Jared_Dominguez at dell.com
Wed Jun 18 07:46:14 CDT 2014

There are 10GbE cards that have a PXE option ROM, but not all do. There
are 10GbE cards where the only way to network boot is if you're booting
in UEFI native mode (i.e. not CSM or "BIOS mode"). UEFI took PXE and
made it part of the UEFI standard such that the system firmware itself
handles the network boot using UEFI network drivers for the card, though
technically it's not called PXE in that case.

--Jared

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 12:59:19AM -0500, Jonathan wrote:
>Hi Ian,
>
>I am using quite a number of 10GBit 'add-in' cards,
>and have yet to see any of them show up with an boot-option
>(ie. they never show up in the BIOS selection for boot-devices, and
>never in the pre-boot listings,
>like you will see, e.g. the Broadcom cards displaying a short
>post-(during-)BIOS message)
>
>Of course I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't think the current
>of-the-shelf 10Gbit cards are
>boot capable.
>
>Best
>-Jonathan
>
>On 06/18/2014 06:15 AM, Ian Mortimer wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying to PXE boot a bunch of C8220s and C6220s from an add-in 10GB
>> card but whatever I set in the bios, they try to boot from the first
>> onboard NIC.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to PXE boot these servers from an
>> add-in card?
>>

>> Thanks

Jared Domínguez
Server OS Engineering