[Linux-PowerEdge] How to monitor RAID health on PowerEdge from Ubuntu?

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 07:15:01 CDT 2014

> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:23:38 -0600
> From: waz0wski <list at mass-distortion.net>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] How to monitor RAID health on PowerEdge
>         from Ubuntu?
> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
>
> I don't install/utilize openmanage. I use the MegaCLI tools [1] for
> checking RAID status.

There's nothing wrong with the MegaCLI tools (certainly a fair bit lighter
than installing openmanage).

It is possible to use the openmanage tools to check RAID status.
omreport storage vdisk
omreport storage vdisk controller=0 vdisk=0
omreport storage vdisk controller=0 vdisk=1

Also, if the LSI MegaRAID sas_snmp package (from LSI themselves) is
installed, a script is added to snmpd config.  From there an OID can be
polled via SNMP to check the health status.
pass .1.3.6.1.4.1.3582 /usr/sbin/lsi_mrdsnmpmain

> Puppet executes MegaCLI and parses a few output strings to put  RAID
> status in MOTD of nodes,

Nice.
I'm working off Red Hat systems as opposed to Ubuntu, so I don't have the
cronjob/motd feature (though it wouldn't be difficult to add).  I'd prefer
to leave the health status monitoring to the Network Monitoring System
though.

> A cron job is used to run MegaCLI to check RAID health status, and send
> SNMP traps on certain RAID/disk events to monitoring system (zenoss)

In my environment, Nagios polls the OID listed above for the MegaRAID
status(es).

--
Mike