[Linux-PowerEdge] DRAC5 stops responding on PE1950

David Newall linux-poweredge at davidnewall.com
Thu Apr 24 01:19:36 CDT 2014

Hello All,

I have a PE1950 with DRAC5 which I recently moved to a remote data
centre.  It's running Ubuntu 13.10 with both motherboard NICs bonded and
running at 1000Mbps full-duplex with auto-negotiation.  The DRAC5 LAN is
configured for shared-failover mode.

I ran a little experiment, shutting down the bonded interface for twenty
seconds, to make sure I could still access the DRAC5; the result was
negative!

To be clear, while pinging the DRAC5's IP address from my workstation, I
typed:

    # ifdown bond0; sleep 20; ifup bond0

All ping packets were lost during the twenty-second interval.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks in anticipation.

David