[Linux-PowerEdge] Interface names

Vinod Gupta vinod at princeton.edu
Sun Apr 20 14:22:08 CDT 2014

Our RHEL Linux cluster evolved over several years and now we have a mix
of various Dell PowerEdge servers running, each one having 2-4 ethernet
interfaces, some 1 Gbps and some 10 Gbps, some onboard and some in the
expansion slots. We use a common kickstart to image them. Every time a
new server is added or old one needs reimaging, we need to play with
network line changing --device value (eth0, em1 or p2p1...). This breaks
the idea of automating the imaging process. Is there a way to set the
interface names once for ever in BIOS?

Vinod