[Linux-PowerEdge] PEdge 1850: Upgrading from Debian lenny to squeeze/wheezy

James Triplett jm-linuxpe at vj8.net
Fri Apr 18 05:59:55 CDT 2014

On (15/04/14 09:43), Stormrider Surfcamp Bali wrote:
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:43:14 +0800
> From: Stormrider Surfcamp Bali <therajaombak at yahoo.com>
> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
> Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] PEdge 1850: Upgrading from Debian lenny to
> 	squeeze/wheezy
>
> Hello,
>
> i am running Debian Lenny on my Poweredge 1850 with a PERC 4e/Si RAID
> controller and i would like to upgrade to either Squeeze or directly to
> Wheezy. Or Lenny->Squeeze->Wheezy.
>
> The problem is that i need to remotely upgrade the machine without
> direct access if something fails. Therefore i would like to ask if
> anyone who did do such an Debian upgrade could tell me if manual
> intervention is necessary? I.e. for installing specifig RAID or Ethernet
> drivers. I think i had to install the debian drivers manually back when
> i installed Lenny at end of 2009 on the box.

I remotely upgraded a set of similar systems (2950) last year from Lenny to Squeeze using this outline:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/upgrade-debian-lenny-to-squeeze-in-a-few-simple-steps

In retrospect I should have worried about the firmware issue since when
those machines were first installed I had to run around and get the drivers onto a thumbdrive.

But I didn't, and the upgrade went smoothly.  By doing it in-place, the drivers
were apparently alredy where they needed to be.

Good luck,

James