[Linux-PowerEdge] cheapest solution support 3tb drive dell 2950

Dan The Man dan at sunsaturn.com
Tue Apr 15 13:40:36 CDT 2014

What is cheapest solution support 3tb drive? This is just a cheap home
fileserver solution, just to run ZFS passthrough. So I am thinking using
ebay and getting something like the LSI lsi 9240-8i, or perc 310 cards be
the cheapest. Thinking those have to be plugged into back pci riser card,
then I would need some kind of SFF cable convertor of at least 2.5 feet,
to run from back riser to the front drive plane.

Does this look correct? Anyone confirm 9240-8i or perc 310 cards to work?
I understand I would most likely have to flash IT version of LSI firmware,
but just wanted to check what you guys have used to support 3TB drives and
what cable you used?

Dan.

--
Dan The Man