[Linux-PowerEdge] PER310 + SAS 6/iR modular (was Q: Possible to access "PowerVault 114x" via chain-through on MD3200?)

cupertino cupertino at gmx.net
Fri Apr 4 13:53:02 CDT 2014

can help with terminology
card/adapter = regular PCIe card w/ bracket
integrated = PCIe card for internal storage slots w/o bracket
modular = only for Mxxx systems (square layout w/o SAS connectors)
embedded = onboard (but don't know any Dell system with embedded H200)

as you mentioned, modular H200 has no connectors for SAS cables and
therefore won't work in R310.

as far as I remember starting with H200/H700 etc Dell started to provide
different PCI IDs for each type of controller (adapter, integrated etc.)
no experience with R310 but some other 11th generation system gave us a
'unsupported adapter in storage slot' when we tried to remove brackets
from Perc adapter to install in an internal storage slot (I think it was
a H700 in a R510).