[Linux-PowerEdge] Q: Possible to access "PowerVault 114x" via chain-through on MD3200?

cupertino cupertino at gmx.net
Thu Apr 3 14:39:07 CDT 2014

I'm 100% sure a tape drive connected to MD3200 is not supported and
almost 100% sure it isn't working too. MD has its own controllers which
hide all devices from any connected host by default. In order to make a
volume available to a host you'll have to define a host mapping, which
can only be done with volumes (virtual disks). Mappings of physical
disks are not possible, so I assume a 'physical' tape drive won't be
available for mapping. Besides the system is very picky about installed
hard drives and back-end cabling. Most likely the tape drive will be
block or you'll end up with heaps of cabling errors.

As far as I know S100 is on-board and can be disabled in BIOS. S300
would be a separate card. So I'm not entirely sure what's in your 2nd
slot. If you're running Linux on the system, most likely there is some
other controller installed already because there are no Linux drivers
for Dell's software enabled RAID controllers.
SAS6/iR has definitely not external SAS connectors.