[Linux-PowerEdge] Monitoring ESXi host from a linux VM

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 03:44:29 CDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Luca Lesinigo <luca at lm-net.it> wrote:

> Hi list.
>
> Is it possible to monitor (read: OMSA) an ESXi host from a linux system?
>
> I do know that you can use the OMSA Distributed Web Server on a Windows
> host to monitor an ESXi host (provided it has the correct VIB installed or
> it has been

we monitor the ESXi hardware health using the vmware api (which is *the*
way to get all the info). This nagios plugin:
https://kb.op5.com/display/PLUGINS/Check+VMware+API+nagios+plugin;jsessionid=6A0D3AAAB606DB6C32B4F67D723664BBdoes
this and much more.

Once the vmware perl sdk is installed you just run:

check_vmware_api -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u user -p passwd -l runtime -s
healthCHECK_ESX.PL OK - All 449 health checks are Green | Alerts=0;;

the user must be a local user in the read only profile (or root, if you do
not care about the best practices).

--
groet,
natxo