[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 06:57:26 CDT 2013

El 24/09/13 12:47, Michael Zoet escribió:
> Hi Mauro,
>
>> Hello, answer between lines.

>> When the server only has BMC, the BMC responds pings?
> Yes. For the systems I manage (about 100 Dell Servers with BMC, iDRAC
> Express and Enterprise) they all respond to a "ping <BMC_IP_ADRESS>".
> I really wonder why they should not reply to ICMP echos? This is
> normal behaviour for a TCP/IP network card. And the BMCs are normally
> connected via the frist network interface... I have never done
> anything to enable a ping except to make sure there is no firewall or
> such between the servers that drops ICMP pings.
>
> In my experience with BMCs and iDRACs most of the time, when something
> like this does not work, the network configuration is somehow not right.
I don't understand waht happend. My BMC on R310 don't responds ping. As
I say:

BMC IP: 172.30.0.150
SO (Debian) IP: 172.30.0.151

When I ping 172.30.0.151 all works perfectly.

IPMI over LAN is activated (I checked it in the BIOS config utility and
in the OSMA web GUI).

Something that came to my attention is that in the OMSA LAN
configuration I get the following message (Spanish):

"Precaución: El tráfico de administración del acceso remoto no funciona
correctamente cuando la LAN en la placa base (LOM) está integrada a
cualquier tarjeta complementaria adaptadora de red."

In english is something like that:

"Warning: The administrative traffic of remote access don't work
correctly when the LAN in the motherboard (LOM) is integrated to any
complementary network adapter."

I can't figured out what this message exactly means. When you don't have
iDRAC (like in my R310) the administrative traffic must be shared with
normal traffic (OS traffic), so, why I get this warning message?.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards.

Mauro.