[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 04:00:23 CDT 2013

Thanks a lot, excellent information!

So, in brief (tell me please if this is correct):

- BMC *will not respond to ping*

- With BMC you can do basic manage (status, power on / off) via command
line or, *only when the server is on* via the Dell OMSA web GUI.

- When the server is off the only method to command the server is via
"ipmitool" (command line).

- With iDRAC you can do all the stuff that you can do with BMC plus many
more.

- With iDRAC you can access to the web GUI using the iDRAC ip even when
the server is off and you have a remote console that show exactly the
same that the VGA display port shows and deploy an OS (enterprise iDRAC
only). So is like you are in front of the server.

- You can work with the iDRAC via command line tool too. In this case
the tool is "racadm".

/***************************************************************************************************************************************************************/

And now some questions about BMC on R310. I'm having the next problem:

When I do the next in the R310 Linux console (via SSH for example):

ipmitool channel info

I got the next information:

Channel 0x3 info:
   Channel Medium Type   : System Interface
   Channel Protocol Type : KCS
   Session Support       : session-less
   Active Session Count  : 0
   Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154

Then, when I do the next in a remote PC:

ipmitool -I lan -H 172.30.0.150 -U <username> -a channel info

Or:

ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.30.0.150 -U <username> -a channel info

And enter the correct password when required I get the next:

Using "lan":

Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to Get Channel Info

Using "lanplus":

Error: Unable to establish IPMI v2 / RMCP+ session
Unable to Get Channel Info

I know that the username ans password are correct (I configured them)
and the 172.30.0.150 is reachable. In fact the Debian OS main IP is
172.30.0.151 and I can reach it perfectly.

Where can be the problem?

Thanks a lot again.

Regards, Mauro.