[Linux-PowerEdge] paring down SUU DVD to fit on USB stick

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 22:52:49 CDT 2013

Hello all,

I need to update the firmware on an R410 via a USB stick.  My plan was
to copy the files from the DVD to the USB stick, boot into the USC,
and use the DUPs on the USB to upgrade the firmware.  This has worked
well for me in the past.  Except now the size of the DVD exceeds the
size of the USB stick.

I have downloaded the ISO[1] OM_710_SUU_FULL_ISO_A00.iso.  From
looking through the files, it appears that many of them do not pertain
to my R410 or are not needed if upgrading the firmware via the USC.
What files can I safely exclude from copying to the USB stick?

FWIW, 7.1.0 is just the first step.  7.1.1 and 7.2.0 will follow.

[1] http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=D62WH

Regards,
- Robert