[Linux-PowerEdge] 15 or 20 package_power_limit events per second on an R320

Paul Warner paul.warner at cyaninc.com
Wed Mar 20 01:27:31 CDT 2013

Based on this input as well as some advice from our Dell rep we disabled
"cstates" and "c1e".  This seemed to clear things up.  I guess from what I
read about what "c1e" does and what the power_limit evens from the kernel
suggest, it probably means we were stuck with too low a voltage to the CPU
I guess?  So not enough power to run at the proper rate?

Any ways, it is better.  Thanks.  We plan to update the BIOS and re-enable
and see if that still leaves us in a working state.  It sounds like "c1e"
at least used to reduce idle power consumption significantly at zero
performance impact, so it would be nice to have it enabled.

-Paul