[Linux-PowerEdge] Upgrading diskdrives on a PE 2600?

Josh_Moore at Dell.com Josh_Moore at Dell.com
Tue Mar 5 11:13:52 CST 2013

Charles, the recommended process to upgrade the drives in your system would require the system to be down.
That would involve a full system backup, replacing the existing drives with the desired larger drives all at once, creating a new array and restoring from backup.

You can substitute a larger capacity drives when replacing and rebuilding an existing drive, this does not have any impact on the size of the array. While you could follow this to replace all of the existing drives with the desired larger drives, replacing and rebuilding one drive at a time, that would not dynamically increase the size of the array.
After replacing all 6 36GB drives with 146GB, your array size would still be based off 6 36GB drives in a RAID5 (what should be ~135GB).

Current generation Dell SAS RAID controllers would allow you to then increase the size of the array, using the Online Capacity Expansion feature, however that feature is not a documented/supported feature of the controllers from the days of the PE2600.

Josh Moore
Enterprise Senior Engineer
Certifications: LPIC-3 Core + Security
Dell | Support Services

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Weilnau, Wayne
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:38 AM
To: brad at bradcan.homelinux.com; linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Upgrading diskdrives on a PE 2600?

Charles,
The current versions of OMSA do not officially support the 2600.  It might work, but no guarantees.  Same is true with Fedora.  It is not officially supported either.  That said, we do support RHEL and have not done anything to intentionally to prevent working on Fedora.  Always good to see one of our servers being productive when it is 10 years old, but it might be time to put this out to pasture.  Unless you already have some 146GB drives laying around, it might be cheaper to purchase an entry level server.  It will probably have significantly more processing power and take less power.  I'm not a storage guy, so can't comment on the upgrade scenarios.

Wayne Weilnau
Systems Management Technologist
Dell | OpenManage Software Development

Confidentiality Notice | This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.