[Linux-PowerEdge] OMSA: spamming console with USB/SECUPD (idrac) messages

Giulio giulioo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 15:40:13 CDT 2013

PowerEdge T320, with just BMC (no iDRAC).
RAID PERC-H710.
RHEL5.9, OMSA 7.3.0

At every boot, we get 43 lines of messages on console (messing up the login
screen, no X) from OMSA/invcol tinkering with iDRAC.
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: iDRAC     Model: SECUPD            Rev: 0329
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdb: 2112 512-byte hdwr sectors (1 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
and so on
and so on
...and then it probes for it a 2nd time again ...

1) Why can't OMSA check whether there's an actual iDRAC with storage before
doing that?

2) Is there any way to completely disable this in hardware?
I tried doing it at the os level (usb quirks 0624/0250 , but then
invcol/MaserIE process won't terminate).
I tried uninstalling dell_ie_maser*, but it seems srvadmin/sbin/invcol has
MaserIE inside its built-in tar.gz.

Thanks.