[Linux-PowerEdge] ] CentOS R410 SAS config issues

Gopala_Rao at Dell.com Gopala_Rao at Dell.com
Thu Jul 18 08:41:16 CDT 2013

Hi Crist,

By any chance did you try installing boot loader not on the MBR of the RAID array. Rather, the boot loader should be installed on the MBR of the same drive as the /boot/ partition was created.

Regards
Gopala

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Rhea, Cristopher J.
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:51 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] ] CentOS R410 SAS config issues

I have two R410 servers, each configured identically.  Each server has 4 70GB SAS drives hooked up to it's 6i/R controller.  I'm trying to configure each to have two RAID1 mirrors.  The problem is when I do this, then go to install CentOS, it will install but then won't boot after the install is finished.  It doesn't make it to the bootloader (grub).

It has something to do with the fact that I have two virtual drives configured. If I make the other two drives hot spares of the first RAID1 mirror I create, it will install & boot fine.  I'm making sure I install the boot loader on the right virtual drive too.

Some screenshots:

BIOS:  http://i.imgur.com/468SWpV.png
VD1:  http://i.imgur.com/I1z2HZ8.png
VD2:  http://i.imgur.com/uYU11nb.png
6i/R:  http://i.imgur.com/CJd4kP9.png

BIOS only allows chosing one virtual drive.  Changing the 6i/R's boot settings (BIOS/OS) doesn't help.  At this point I'm stumped.  I'm not sure what else I can try.  I'm wondering if there's some limitation I don't know about.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Flip the boot order of the LUNs.

I've had situations in loading RedHat/CentOS where the drive order the OS saw is not what the BIOS uses for boot (i.e., grub installed on the "wrong" disk).

--- Cris