[Linux-PowerEdge] CentOS R410 SAS config issues

なっぴん なっぴん usrbinperl5 at hotmail.co.jp
Thu Jul 18 05:20:44 CDT 2013

I think SAS 6i/R controller can only boot VD which include HDD#0.
So you create VD next below.

"Array 1 of 2" has HDD#0 and HDD#1.
"Array 2 of 2" has HDD#2 and HDD#3.

You can boot from VD of "Array 1 of 2".

Thanks and Regard.

Yuji Nanba
linux-poweredge-Lists <linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com>

[Linux-PowerEdge] CentOS R410 SAS config issues

I have two R410 servers, each configured identically.  Each server has 4 70GB SAS drives hooked up to it's 6i/R controller.  I'm trying to configure each to have two RAID1 mirrors.  The problem is when I do this, then go to install CentOS, it will install but then won't boot after the install is finished.  It doesn't make it to the bootloader (grub).
It has something to do with the fact that I have two virtual drives configured. If I make the other two drives hot spares of the first RAID1 mirror I create, it will install & boot fine.  I'm making sure I install the boot loader on the right virtual drive too.
Some screenshots:
BIOS:  http://i.imgur.com/468SWpV.png
VD1:  http://i.imgur.com/I1z2HZ8.png
VD2:  http://i.imgur.com/uYU11nb.png
6i/R:  http://i.imgur.com/CJd4kP9.png

BIOS only allows chosing one virtual drive.  Changing the 6i/R's boot settings (BIOS/OS) doesn't help.  At this point I'm stumped.  I'm not sure what else I can try.  I'm wondering if there's some limitation I don't know about.  Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.