[Linux-PowerEdge] MD3000 preferred path not working

Nick Lunt nick.lunt at patech-solutions.com
Thu Jul 18 04:14:28 CDT 2013

Hi folks

we had a disk fail in an MD3000 last week which was replaced under
warranty. However, during the replacement of the disk something happened
and we ended up getting 2 new SAS cards, MD3000 controllers and a new
backplane for the MD3000. This took a week to fix costing us thousands.

Now were just about back online, but we are getting these errors from the
MD3000:

Summary
Node ID: WFSC_NON_PROD_SAS
Host IP Address: 10.69.0.21
Host ID: fintestdb.wales.nhs.uk
Event Error Code: 4011
Event occurred: Jul 18, 2013 9:51:43 AM
Event Message: Virtual Disk not on preferred path due to AVT/RDAC failover
Component type: RAID Controller Module
Component location: RAID Controller Module in slot 0
Priority:Critical

The only way we seem to be able to stop getting these error messages is to
set the preferred path to path 0 for all luns.

Now, we have the exact same setup on another server, but using the correct
preferred paths and we are having none of these issues. Both these servers
have the same OS and MD3000 setup.

Could anyone please shed some light on why the server that's just been
'fixed' is generating these errors unless we assign all luns to path 0?

Thanks
Nick .