[Linux-PowerEdge] CentOS R410 SAS config issues

ch urnd churnd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 21:42:04 CDT 2013

I have two R410 servers, each configured identically.  Each server has 4
70GB SAS drives hooked up to it's 6i/R controller.  I'm trying to configure
each to have two RAID1 mirrors.  The problem is when I do this, then go to
install CentOS, it will install but then won't boot after the install is
finished.  It doesn't make it to the bootloader (grub).

It has something to do with the fact that I have two virtual drives
configured. If I make the other two drives hot spares of the first RAID1
mirror I create, it will install & boot fine.  I'm making sure I install
the boot loader on the right virtual drive too.

Some screenshots:

BIOS:  http://i.imgur.com/468SWpV.png
VD1:  http://i.imgur.com/I1z2HZ8.png
VD2:  http://i.imgur.com/uYU11nb.png
6i/R:  http://i.imgur.com/CJd4kP9.png

BIOS only allows chosing one virtual drive.  Changing the 6i/R's boot
settings (BIOS/OS) doesn't help.  At this point I'm stumped.  I'm not sure
what else I can try.  I'm wondering if there's some limitation I don't know
about.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.