[Linux-PowerEdge] firmware updates on Debian installs

Davis_Phillips at Dell.com Davis_Phillips at Dell.com
Tue Jul 16 07:00:14 CDT 2013

I've used this just recently:

http://linux.dell.com/files/openmanage-contributions/om72-firmware-live/

You boot to it and CentOS loads up with twm and provides an easy interface to update the firmware of your choosing. Pretty handy.

Thanks!
DP

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of John Barlow
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:26 AM
To: Geoff Crompton
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] firmware updates on Debian installs

I've created a bootable DVD with all the updates on it.  I use Ubuntu, but that doesn't matter.

The bootable DVD is a standard part of the Dell offering - "Dell Repository Manager" - allows you to select and download all firmware / BIOS updates for a collection of models of Dell machines, and bundles it into a bootable DVD.  When teh DVD boots it takes a while but it does upgrade whatever it can find.

I used the following web page as a starting point:

http://lonesysadmin.net/2011/03/07/the-easiest-way-to-update-a-dell-servers-firmware/

it is a bit out-dated, so the link to the Dell Repository Manager didn't work for me and the instructions for using it seemed to be out of date as well, but the general aim was clear enough I could get what I wanted done.