[Linux-PowerEdge] firmware updates on Debian installs

John Barlow john.b at nghenvironmental.com.au
Tue Jul 16 01:25:33 CDT 2013

I've created a bootable DVD with all the updates on it.  I use Ubuntu,
but that doesn't matter.

The bootable DVD is a standard part of the Dell offering - "Dell
Repository Manager" - allows you to select and download all firmware /
BIOS updates for a collection of models of Dell machines, and bundles it
into a bootable DVD.  When teh DVD boots it takes a while but it does
upgrade whatever it can find.

I used the following web page as a starting point:

http://lonesysadmin.net/2011/03/07/the-easiest-way-to-update-a-dell-servers-firmware/

it is a bit out-dated, so the link to the Dell Repository Manager didn't
work for me and the instructions for using it seemed to be out of date
as well, but the general aim was clear enough I could get what I wanted
done.

On 16/07/2013 4:16 PM, Geoff Crompton wrote:
> We're running Debian on lots of our Dell servers, and I'm not certain of
> a good way to do bios and firmware updates on them. What do other people do?
>
> One way I thought to do this was to boot into freedos, and use the dos
> executables that are often downloadable from support.dell.com. But I
> don't know how to prepare freedos such that I can access these files
> (given that they won't fit on a freedos disk).
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

John Barlow  | Manager - IT

*nghenvironmental*
www.nghenvironmental.com.au <http://www.nghenvironmental.com.au> * | *
www.sumosystem.com.au <http://www.sumosystem.com.au>
suite 1, 216 carp street (po box 470) * | * bega nsw 2550 * | * australia
* T * +61 (0)2 6492 8360 * D * +61 (0)2 6492 8314 * M * +61 (0)419 588
033 * F * +61 (0)2 6494 7773
tweet <https://twitter.com/nghenviro> We tweet!

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient of this email you must not
disseminate, copy or take action in reliance on it. If you have received
this email in error please notify nghenvironmental by email immediately
and erase all copies of the message and its attachments. The
confidential nature of, and/or privilege in the documents transmitted is
not waived or lost as a result of a mistake or error in transmission.

	NGH 21st logo