[Linux-PowerEdge] firmware updates on Debian installs

Geoff Crompton geoffc at trinity.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jul 16 01:16:54 CDT 2013

We're running Debian on lots of our Dell servers, and I'm not certain of
a good way to do bios and firmware updates on them. What do other people do?

One way I thought to do this was to boot into freedos, and use the dos
executables that are often downloadable from support.dell.com. But I
don't know how to prepare freedos such that I can access these files
(given that they won't fit on a freedos disk).

Cheers,
Geoff