[Linux-PowerEdge] KVM Disk Format Options

Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com
Wed Feb 20 14:58:31 CST 2013

Dan,

I did not mean to imply that you need iSCSI for VM migration, I was referring to storage pools and volumes (which can be iSCSI and NFS).

Jose De la Rosa
Linux Engineering
Dell | Enterprise Solutions Group

From: Dan Pritts [mailto:danno at umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:54 PM
To: De La Rosa, Jose
Cc: meshvic at gmail.com; linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] KVM Disk Format Options

The answer may be different depending on your storage vendor; some of them have better NFS performance (i'm looking at you, netapp) and others are better at iscsi.   So, I'd ask EMC what they recommend.

Jose, is it really true that you need iscsi to do live VM migration with KVM?  That is not true with vmware; NFS works too.

Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com<mailto:Jose_De_La_Rosa at Dell.com> wrote:
Mesh,

I don't know of existing Dell whitepapers that have studied performance of block vs. file-based storage, but the statement below makes sense, as using block storage avoids having to use the file system layer on the hypervisor. When using iSCSI-based storage pools and volumes (required for live VM migration) the default storage type will be block based.