[Linux-PowerEdge] USC Freezes and USC/Lifecycle Controller Update

Mon Nov 26 15:09:06 CST 2012

You can apply the USC repair package through the iDRAC GUI by selecting "Remote Access" in the left hand tree and then selecting the update tab. It's the same page as you would use to update the iDRAC itself with the iDRAC.

Hope that helps,
Patrick Boyd
Systems Management Development
Dell, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Jeff Boyce
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 12:27 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] USC Freezes and USC/Lifecycle Controller Update

Greetings -

This post may be a little long, but I wanted to make sure that I clearly describe my issue and what steps I have taken to try to resolve it before asking for assistance.

I have two issues; first the Unified Server Configurator freezes when trying to start, and second I am trying to figure out the proper way to repair and/or update the USC/Lifecycle Controller firmware.  Now some background of how I got here and what I have tried.

I administer the computer network for my small company in addition to my other technical duties.  We have a Poweredge T610 that is almost a year old and has been working reliably as our office file server the entire time.
The box runs Centos 6.2 on the KVM host system, and has two VMs also running Centos 6.2.  In late October it unexpectedly crashed during the weekend.  I could find nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the crash, so I figured the proper thing to do first was to schedule a day to update the system firmware and OS.  I have Dell's firmware tools installed which allowed me to inventory and update the device drivers and device firmware.
However, this tool does not show all the firmware that is available for the iDRAC, the USC, or the BIOS (compared to seeing what is available for my system on Dell Support Drivers and Downloads page for my service tag).

Then I figured I would start the USC/Lifecycle Controller so that I could run the hardware diagnostics and look into completing the remaining firmware updates.  When I started the USC at boot via F10 the system gets to the Dell Logo screen where it displays "Entering System Services. Starting Unified Server Configurator".  At this point it just freezes there; I finally powered it down after 30 minutes.  I suspect that the crash in late October has caused some corruption in the USC/Lifecycle Controller, but that is pure speculation on my part.

What I have tried:

1.  After a little Google research on this situation, I unplug the power cords to the server, and the iDRAC network cable to allow the iDRAC to reset.  Powering up and selecting F10 produces the same freeze result.

2.  More Google research and reading the manual for the USC, leads me to try the repair program for the USC/LCC.  However reading the instructions for this it states to run/install the repair program via the iDRAC web interface (select the Remote Access tab and browse to the repair package).  Well, unless I am completely blind my iDRAC web interface does not have a Remote Access tab, or anything that appears to have a similar function.  I have an
iDRAC6 Enterprise, running firmware version 1.92.  The screen shots with the instructions are clearly showing an older version of the iDRAC web interface.  I have not found any newer or updated instructions that would match my iDRAC web interface options.

3.  Next attempt was to download the firmware BIN file and run it from the command line.  I downloaded the file Lifecycle-Controller_Application_F0D50_LN32_1.5.2.32_A00.BIN and read through the notes.  I noticed that the notes mention that the update may fail to run on 64-bit Linux Operating systems, and that I may need to install some 32-bit compatibility libraries.  So I tried the install and it told me specifically the three libraries it needed installed.  So I then did a yum search & yum install for compat-libstdc++-33.i686.  This library installed without any other dependencies required.  Then I did a yum search & yum install for libstdc++.i686.  This resulted in yum producing a dependency check error (not really sure if that is the correct term to use) stating that there was incompatible protected multilib versions, and that the software was not installed.  I am guessing that this has to do with 32 vs. 64-bit libraries.  It also stated that I could override the conflict with an option.  But I am not going to do that for fear of causing other problems down the road.

So that is where I am at this point, a system without a complete set of firmware updates installed, and still unable to start the USC/Lifecycle Controller.  I am looking for suggestions on how to properly fix the USC/Lifecycle Controller so that I may use it.  I can provide any additional system information or logs that may help with diagnostics or resolution of this issue.  Thanks.

System Information:

Poweredge T610, BIOS ver. 6.0.7

iDRAC 6 Enterprise, firmware updated to ver. 1.92

USC/Lifecycle Controller firmware ver. 1.5.1.57

OS: CentOS 6.2 x64

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental
www.meridianenv.com