[Linux-PowerEdge] Missing Disk on SAS 6

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Nov 23 08:46:20 CST 2012

I checked this with another machine that I have in Office that has a LSI
1068. It had only 1 disk and a degraded array. I hotswapped in a second
drive and found no way to attach although it was recognized by the
machine. It shows in lsscsi exactly the same way as on the problem
machine. I tried to find a way to attach it without taking the machine
offline. But the only option that had the new disk available was create
volume (to create a second volume).

I finally disabled and deleted the volume in lsiutil and created a new
one. It's now resyncing and appears to be "almost" well. At least
according to mpt-status and lsiutil.
It appears it took the correct primary disk, but some programs do not work
correctly. e.g. lshw and procinfo return i/o error, top says "xterm
unknown terminal type". It looks like there was some damage to the file
system, lots of directory entries have only filenames and no attributes
anymore. I'm waiting if the resync cures that. But if not the setup is
hosed and doing it this way doesn't seem to work. Not much of a problem
here.

Is there a stable way to replace a disk with lsiutil on the SAS1068 while
the machine is online?

Kai