[Linux-PowerEdge] set bootdevice-order on PEM520

Martin Flemming martin.flemming at desy.de
Tue Nov 13 02:51:29 CST 2012

Hi, Shine !

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Shine_KA at Dell.com wrote:
> Can you provide below details
>
> 1.       What storage controller is used on the server?

flemming at console:/scratch/lc/9_Hardware_Inventory $ ./9.10_RAID_Inventory.sh XXXX root XXXX |egrep 'InstanceID|ProductName'
<n1:InstanceID>RAID.Integrated.1-1</n1:InstanceID>
<n1:ProductName>PERC H310 Mini</n1:ProductName>

> 2.       Can you try manually booting to "Hard Drive C:" (While booting you can press F11 and select "BIOS Boot Menu" then "Hard Drive C:")
>          and see whether system is booting to HDD.

Yes, booting from hardisk is no problem

> 3.       What is the racadm version used (You can run the command "racadm version" for this)

I use 6.5.0 and/or  7.1.0

  /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm version
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm: line 13: printf: 0xError: invalid hex number
RACADM version 6.5.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2011 Dell, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm version
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm: line 13: printf: 0xError: invalid hex number
RACADM version 7.1.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2012 Dell, Inc.
All Rights Reserved

> 2.       Using Racadm set Boot Order to HDD (racadm -r <iDRAC IP> -u <username> -p <password> config -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice HDD)

Runs for me

flemming at ip-console3:~/bin $ /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm -r tcx2a3-ilo -u xxx -p xxx config -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice HDD
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm: line 13: printf: 0xError: invalid hex number
Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - self signed certificate
Continuing execution. Use -S option for racadm to stop execution on
certificate-related errors.

> 3.       Using Racadm disable Boot Once (racadm -r <iDRAC IP> -u <username> -p <password> config -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice 0)

Seems run without success :-(

flemming at ip-console3:~/bin $ /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm -r  tcx2a3-ilo -u xxx -p xxx config  -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice 0
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm: line 13: printf: 0xError: invalid hex number
Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - self signed certificate
Continuing execution. Use -S option for racadm to stop execution on
certificate-related errors.
ERROR: Failed to set the object value.

/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm -r tcx2a3-ilo -u xxxx -p xxxx getconfig -g cfgServerInfo
/opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/racadm: line 13: printf: 0xError: invalid hex number
Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - self signed certificate
Continuing execution. Use -S option for racadm to stop execution on
certificate-related errors.
cfgServerBootOnce=1
cfgServerFirstBootDevice=HDD

thanks & cheers

 	martin

> Below are the step we followed while checking the issue in our LAB. Let me know if you are trying anything different.
>
> 1.       Initially BIOS Boot Sequence does not have "Hard Drive C:" as first device
>
> 2.       Using Racadm set Boot Order to HDD (racadm -r <iDRAC IP> -u <username> -p <password> config -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice HDD)
>
> 3.       Using Racadm disable Boot Once (racadm -r <iDRAC IP> -u <username> -p <password> config -g cfgServerInfo -o cfgServerFirstBootDevice 0)
>
> 4.        Reboot the server. Now Server Boot to "Hard Drive C:" and if we check BIOS Boot Order "Hard Drive C:" should be moved to first in the Boot Sequence.
>

> Thanks & Regards
>

> Shine K A
>
> Product Group
>
> Dell | Bangalore Development Center