[Linux-PowerEdge] ubuntu firmware update and libstdc++.so.5

Claudio Cesar Sanchez Tejeda demonccc.y at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:18:28 CST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM, John v2.0 <johnv2.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Linux-Poweredge users,
>
> I'm attempting to update the firmware on a NIC in a PE1950 running Ubuntu
> Lucid (10.04) and am running into a problem with libstdc++.so.5.
>
> root at hostname:~# ./NETW_FRMW_LX_R309327.BIN
> Error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
> Install the following dependencies:
> RHEL: compat-libstdc.i686
> SLES: libstdc++-33-32bit
> Please check Dell Update package User guide for instructions
> for installing the dependencies.
>
> I have libstdc++.so.5 in a couple places actually:
>
> root at hostname:~# locate libstdc++.so.5
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/lib/libstdc++.so.5
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
>
> In other similar threads I've seen people suggest the following packages
> need to be installed, which they are:
>
> root at hostname:~# dpkg -l | egrep "ia32|compat"
> ii  compat-libstdc                      5-1
> libstdc++5.so for srvadmin-storelib
> ii  ia32-libs                           2.7ubuntu26.1
> ia32 shared libraries for use on amd64 and ia64 systems
>
> I realize Ubuntu/Debian isn't officially supported by Dell but it seems
> like this has worked for others and I'm having trouble understanding why it
> doesn't work here.  Hoping someone could offer some advice.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Hi John,

This .BIN file is for RedHat Linux. The firmware update app that contains
this package are for 32bit OS (you can run it  in 64bits OS by installing
the necessaries 32bit compatibility libraries). Using this tool:
https://github.com/demonccc/lnxDellRepo2deb you can create .deb packages
that contain 64bits version of the firmware tools and the latest firmware
versions recommended by Dell.

Regards.