[Linux-PowerEdge] ubuntu firmware update and libstdc++.so.5

John v2.0 johnv2.0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 16:22:32 CST 2012

Hello Linux-Poweredge users,

I'm attempting to update the firmware on a NIC in a PE1950 running Ubuntu
Lucid (10.04) and am running into a problem with libstdc++.so.5.

root at hostname:~# ./NETW_FRMW_LX_R309327.BIN
Error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
Install the following dependencies:
RHEL: compat-libstdc.i686
SLES: libstdc++-33-32bit
Please check Dell Update package User guide for instructions
for installing the dependencies.

I have libstdc++.so.5 in a couple places actually:

root at hostname:~# locate libstdc++.so.5
/opt/dell/srvadmin/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/opt/dell/srvadmin/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

In other similar threads I've seen people suggest the following packages
need to be installed, which they are:

root at hostname:~# dpkg -l | egrep "ia32|compat"
ii  compat-libstdc                      5-1
libstdc++5.so for srvadmin-storelib
ii  ia32-libs                           2.7ubuntu26.1
ia32 shared libraries for use on amd64 and ia64 systems

I realize Ubuntu/Debian isn't officially supported by Dell but it seems
like this has worked for others and I'm having trouble understanding why it
doesn't work here.  Hoping someone could offer some advice.

Thanks,
John