[Linux-PowerEdge] poweredge 2850 drive performance, pci-x/e ssd upgrade?

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Fri Nov 9 12:10:43 CST 2012

We've got a couple databases that are using raid 5 and over the years as
we've moved from debian 3, 4, 5 and finally to 6 the drive performance
continues to degrade.  Maybe it's linux, maybe it's the drives, maybe
its ext3 vs ext2, maybe its 32bit vs 64bit.  Who knows, all I know is
that the read/write speeds on these systems is causing issues.

I was curious if anyone has ever added in a pci-x controller and an SSD
or two and what kind of experience they had with the process. What about
pci-e riser that can be purchased instead?

Thoughts?

-Matt