[Linux-PowerEdge] R610 Server bricked after firmware update

Ganesh_Viswanathan at Dell.com Ganesh_Viswanathan at Dell.com
Fri Nov 9 10:15:51 CST 2012

Hank, the drives are being marked faulty not because of being uncertified. Either they have really failed or will in the near future.

Agreed on the warning but halting on POST is not acceptable behavior here and the firmware is being fixed in the next release.

Best regards,
Ganesh Viswanathan

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Hank
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:19 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] R610 Server bricked after firmware update

Update:  I was to get some remote hands to pull two faulty drives from the server.  Apparently, I've now learned, that it's a bad idea to upgrade the PERC firmware on a system with a faulty drive, even though the only "fault" was that these drives were not being Dell "Certified"
drives, and was throwing that system log warning.

But now that the drives have been removed, the system was able to boot and complete the USC steps.  When USC finally re-started, it was on Step 3 of 6 steps, step 3 being update SSIB tasks.  Then required a couple of reboots after that.

Now the system seems to be functioning normally.  I'll re-install the "faulty" drives when I next visit the DC.

But it still might be nice to have a warning that when updating the firmware with an array with a faulty drive, could brick the box.

-Hank