[Linux-PowerEdge] Configure and use BMC on a PowerEdge R310.

Chris_Poblete at Dell.com Chris_Poblete at Dell.com
Fri Nov 9 08:37:24 CST 2012

Hello Mauro,

iDRAC will respond to ping.  One thing to look for at the client is firewall settings. Try temporarily disabling firewall and see if your ping goes through.

Thanks,
<Chris Poblete

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Mauro Antivero
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 5:23 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] Configure and use BMC on a PowerEdge R310.

Hello, my name is Mauro and this is my first post to this list.

I need to configure BMC in a Dell PowerEdge R310 to monitor / control this server remotely. This is the configuration that I use (Ctrl + E at system boot):

IP. 172.30.0.150
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.30.0.1

All other parameters are set as shown in the following document:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps4q04-20040204-Murphy.pdf

Then, when I try to ping from other PC (in the same LAN off course) the BMC IP I have no response, but I really don't know if the BMC have to response ping requests.

Then, when I try the following command (which I got from the previous
document):

ipmitool -I lan -H 172.30.0.150 -U root -a channel info

And enter the right password I got:

Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to Get Channel Info

Last, in the server I try:

ipmitool channel info

And i get:

Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory Unable to Get Channel Info

But if I first load these modules:

modprobe ipmi_msghandler
modprobe ipmi_devintf
modprobe ipmi_si

Then I get:

ipmitool channel info

Channel 0x3 info:
   Channel Medium Type   : System Interface
   Channel Protocol Type : KCS
   Session Support       : session-less
   Active Session Count  : 0
   Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154

But in the remote PC I still having the same problem.

Can you help me please? I read a lot of documents and I don't find what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a lot and regards.

Mauro.