[Linux-PowerEdge] Configure and use BMC on a PowerEdge R310.

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 05:22:41 CST 2012

Hello, my name is Mauro and this is my first post to this list.

I need to configure BMC in a Dell PowerEdge R310 to monitor / control
this server remotely. This is the configuration that I use (Ctrl + E at
system boot):

IP. 172.30.0.150
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 172.30.0.1

All other parameters are set as shown in the following document:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps4q04-20040204-Murphy.pdf

Then, when I try to ping from other PC (in the same LAN off course) the
BMC IP I have no response, but I really don't know if the BMC have to
response ping requests.

Then, when I try the following command (which I got from the previous
document):

ipmitool -I lan -H 172.30.0.150 -U root -a channel info

And enter the right password I got:

Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Unable to Get Channel Info

Last, in the server I try:

ipmitool channel info

And i get:

Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory
Unable to Get Channel Info

But if I first load these modules:

modprobe ipmi_msghandler
modprobe ipmi_devintf
modprobe ipmi_si

Then I get:

ipmitool channel info

Channel 0x3 info:
   Channel Medium Type   : System Interface
   Channel Protocol Type : KCS
   Session Support       : session-less
   Active Session Count  : 0
   Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154

But in the remote PC I still having the same problem.

Can you help me please? I read a lot of documents and I don't find what
I'm doing wrong.

Thanks a lot and regards.

Mauro.