[Linux-PowerEdge] R610 Memory configurations

Hank heskin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:55:13 CST 2012

Hello,

   I have an R610 with the following DIMMS:
 8 x 1GB
 4 x 2GB

16GB total.  The  BIOS setting is configured for "Optimized" memory mode.

Is there any possible DIMM configuration that won't generate an
"unsupported" error message upon boot up?

And if not, what is the harm/trouble with running an unsupported
configuration?

This is what I ended up with for now:

	DIMM_A1 	1024
	DIMM_A2 	1024
	DIMM_A3 	1024

	DIMM_A4 	2048
	DIMM_A5 	2048
	DIMM_A6 	2048

	DIMM_B1 	1024
	DIMM_B2 	1024
	DIMM_B3 	1024

	DIMM_B4 	2048
	DIMM_B5 	1024
	DIMM_B6 	1024

 I only get a mis-matched error on B4-B5-B6 and that both CPUs should
have the same amount of memory, but the system seems to be running
ESXi 5 normally.

Thanks.

-Hank