[Linux-PowerEdge] R610 Server bricked after firmware update

Hank heskin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:15:48 CST 2012

Hello Ganesh,

 Thanks for your reply.  I do have two Kingston SSD drives that I've
used for about a year in a different R610 without any issue at all (no
errors, no warnings).   I moved them to this R610, but now these two
drives are throwing the "non-certified drive" warning (not error).
But they continued to work without issue other than the warning in the
logs (and the flashing lights) until I updated the firmware.

The problem is that this is a remote server (three hours drive away)
and I don't readily have remote hands to remove the drives to clear
the error or boot the server.

Also, the drive configuration in this R610 was working perfectly fine
under the previous firmware (6.2.0-0013), and I was upgrading the
firmware to hopefully get rid of the "non certified drive" warnings,
but instead it bricked the server.  Actually, it's more like a cinder
block than a brick.

  It would be nice of the firmware didn't halt the system and still
allowed it to boot with a suspect configuration.

-Hank