[Linux-PowerEdge] Not sure what's happening

Jyothish Vidyadharan jyothishv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 07:19:25 CST 2012

Hello,
  I haven't used the linux.dell.com site in quite some time. I went there
recently. More specifically I went to
http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/and saw the following message:

"The firmware repository is now obsolete and should not be used.
Officially-supported firmware RPMS are published for all Dell server
systems in the OMSA repository.

Please use the Officially Supported OpenManage
repository<http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware>.
It has firmware (including BIOS, PERC firmware, BMC, Backplane, etc) for
all supported PowerEdge servers, as well as updated drivers and Dell
OpenManage Server Administrator.
This repository is no longer actively updated or maintained and is here for
archival purposes only. "

I went to the repository mentioned there(Officially Supported OpenManage
repository <http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware> at
http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/) and found links starting only from
2008. I am looking for firmware for my laptop which was bought before that.
It used to be available on the dell linux site earlier. Isn't it available
there anymore? I am a bit confused and I'm hoping you can throw some light
on the situation.

Thank You in advance for your help.