[Linux-PowerEdge] Extremely poor performance with LVM vs. RAW disc

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Nov 7 11:11:47 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
| >> lvextend -r
| >>
| >> takes care of the FS as well after your vg's are extended .
| >>
| > ----
| >     That only works for 'extX' file systems, though it deceptively
| > isn't named in a way that implies that.  I.e. it wouldn't work for
| > NTFS or
| > xfs.
|
| Pretty sure it wouldn't work for ntfs, but man fsadm says it should
| work for xfs, extX, and reiserfs, although I've never tried it
| myself.

With XFS it does.  Use it all the time with the puppet LVM module without issue.  Yes, I was joking about the "good sysadmins always.." stuff.  Boy, text just doesn't convey messages very well.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

"The smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they’d already solved. They’re open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking." - Jeff Bezos