[Linux-PowerEdge] R610 Server bricked after firmware update

Hank heskin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:07:09 CST 2012

I've been updating the firmware on my R610s.

I just updated the second server.  It has current BIOS and PERC
firmware.  This server worked perfectly before the update.  Now upon
boot up, I get the following message:

: "Number of devices exceeded the maximum limit of devices per quad.
Please remove the extra drives and reboot the system to avoid losing
data. System has halted due to unsupported configuration."

I'm unable to start up the PERC config (ctrl-R), or F2 system config,
or even boot to USC (F10) or vIrtual CD (boot options F11).  The
system says "System has been halted due to unsupported configuration".

What was supported before, and now after a firmware update, not
supported?  I now have a remote server that is totally briked.

-Hank