[Linux-PowerEdge] iDRAC 6/7 with "generic" SD cards

Laurent CARON lcaron at unix-scripts.info
Tue Nov 6 09:19:18 CST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently planning to add SD cards (cheap 8GB noname) to my iDRAC enabled servers (R510 / R710 / R810 / ...)

I read generic cards are limited to 256Gb partitions, and dell branded cards don't have this limit:

http://www.itexpertmag.com/server/dell-remote-access-controller-6
"We used a Dell \u2013branded 1GB SD card, which allowed us to select a vFlash partition size of either 256MB or 512MB. With an 8GB branded card, you can choose a partition of 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB or 4GB but with an unbranded, third-party card you can\u2019t create a partition larger than 265MB, which makes it rather less useful."

Is this limitation still in effect while using generic cards ?

Thanks

Laurent