[Linux-PowerEdge] Extremely poor performance with LVM vs. RAW disc

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Mon Nov 5 12:46:25 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
| Once upon a time, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> said:
| > Slicing and dicing the disk using partitions is completely
| > unnecessary, adds additional overhead and complexity and is far
| > less flexible.
|
| Please cite the "additional overhead" of partitions (hint: there is
| none).
|
| --
| Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
| Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
| I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

Oh, you mean like correct partition alignment?!?  Perhaps that's one.  Yes, indeed it is.  Oh, and if you want to resize a virtual disk that uses LVM, you need to delete the partition and recreate it.  Yup, that's one too.  Oh, and there is the moving of PVs from one disk to anther, damn there's one too.  There is overhead.  I've had to deal with it regularly.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

"The smartest people are constantly revising their understanding, reconsidering a problem they thought they’d already solved. They’re open to new points of view, new information, new ideas, contradictions, and challenges to their own way of thinking." - Jeff Bezos